Monday, March 06, 2006

Gräsänka för en helg...

The week went on as usual, working more or less 5 hours a day, which is a luxury for students only. No spring weather in sight (until Friday when I refused to wear my winter coat anymore and put my sunglasses on in the morning). On Wednesday we went shopping for some things for Andreas to take home with him, some bottles of wine and other things. We also found some nice clothes for Andreas but none for me :(. We were not in the mood to wait for a pizza to cook in the oven so we had dinner at TGI Friday’s in the West End mall, not as good as I had imagined but at least it was food. The beer however was excellent! Happy, we strolled home and Andreas started packing for his trip.

On Thursday I realised there are two new employees at the company, they felt as lost as I do so we had a little chat about that during lunch break.
The person I am working with in my project is very busy taking over someone else’s work and having vacation time at the same time so I am pretty much on my own most of the time, which is fine except I need to make sure I am on the right track….O well next week maybe. Gives me time to work on my essay instead. It’s easy to forget that part of LIA when having other things to do.

After a day of Terrible Homesickness on Thursday when Andreas left for Sweden my weekend actually was very nice. On Friday I meet up with Monika at Liszt Ferenc tér for a coffee. We ended up at Kharma, which has an interior design of Indonesian/Indian style, eating a delicious chocolate banana cake. On Saturday I had my Hungarian course which was quite funny this time. The group is getting more and more open as we learn more about each other. There are three other girls in the group, all three from South America.

As we walked to one of the Brazilian girls’ home (she is married to a Hungarian) nearby the school we tried to communicate in Hungarian, English, Portuguese and Spanish which was ok really, considering we all know just one of the above languages each…. (and the small amount of Hungarian word we learnt in class). Nem ertem (I don’t understand) and nem tudom (I don’t know) might be the most important phrases we learnt so far.

I walked home admiring the view from the Margaret Bridge on my way. Although the weather was boring and the rain clouds were hanging heavy over my head it was nice to walk home, thinking about the night out with Romi. The restaurant I wanted to go to on Saturday evening was full, so I reserved a table at the Club Verne, which we have passed a couple of times in the city looking curiously at the diver costume outside and the machinery look-a-like door. From the beginning it looked like we were going o be four people, but it ended up being just me, Romi and her boyfriend, which is not bad at all.

The place looks great except for one thing, brick walls in a submarine? I don’t get it. Anyhow, as I waited outside for the others I meet some new friends, a Hungarian rock band that had come for the karaoke night. They sang to me right there and then in the street, in both American and Hungarian. Unfortunately me never made it to the karaoke night because Romi’s boyfriend had the flu and they lest around eleven. I was really in a party mood but what to do. The food was good, the beer even better and we had plenty of laughs. Hassan (the boyfriend) is a Lebanese diplomat here in Hungary and had some funny stories to tell us.



I took a cab home, since the metro and trams stop running after eleven. There are night busses though, but taxi is cheap enough to keep me from trying to find them.

Woke up Sunday morning and what do I see – snow! Again! Why o why? I had plans to do some sightseeing today, but I guess I have to go shopping instead.
Ah, new shoes. All I need now is for the snow to melt. My friend Romi comes from Pragh and she is going there for the last weekend of April – and she has two seats in the car reserved for two very special Swedes. I only hope Andreas will come with me to see this supposedly beautiful and must-see city that I did not have the chance to go to last year.

No comments: